Just about everywhere you look these days, you can find a variety of outdoor kitchen ideas: in magazines, your neighbor’s backyard, TV, and movies. These examples range from modest to extravagant in every style imaginable! The style of your own outdoor kitchen will be based on several things: your budget, available space, and personal taste. However, your kitchen needs to be functional and fun, and it will need regular maintenance to stay in peak condition.
Regardless of what outdoor kitchen style you choose, you can’t forget the big picture: functionality! You should plan to include everything you need to cook outdoors without having to run in and out of the house. These useful items may include:
- Ice chest, cooler, and/or outdoor refrigerator with ice maker
- Cabinets with enough space for storing servingware, utensils, glassware, and cleaning products
- A quality countertop material like granite that can stand up against intense sun, heat, and rain yet still clean easily
- Adequate countertop space for preparing/serving food
- Pizza oven
- Grill, side burners, outdoor oven, fire pit, or other heat source
- Outdoor bar with a sink, ice bin, and storage for drink ingredients
- Tabletop or overhead lighting, outdoor furniture, umbrella, or patio covers
Now that your outdoor kitchen ideas include ultimate functionality, consider spicing up the area with fun elements.
- Add a TV specifically adapted to surviving the elements so you can keep an eye on your favorite sports teams during the mundane tasks of meal prep. Your guests will love being able to watch The Big Game, blockbusters, and family movies in your gorgeous backyard.
- Plan an area for a horseshoe pit or pick up a few games like ladder ball or bocce ball that you can store easily in the garage and bring out when the kids and grandkids claim they’re bored.
You can spend a pretty penny on the outdoor kitchen of your dreams. Of course, it’s totally worth it, but how do you maintain your glorious outdoor kitchen so it looks fresh for years to come? A few cleaning tips and regular maintenance tasks can help you keep your outdoor kitchen area stunning.
- Use glass cleaner to wipe fingerprints off stainless-steel countertops or appliances.
- Use a hard-bristled brush on your grill after every use.
- Paint your grill with a rust-resistant paint for metal that will rejuvenate its beauty and increase its longevity.
- Degrease burners regularly.
- Visually inspect hoses, burners, and valves to make sure they’re in working order so your gas heats up properly.
- Make sure you use special cleaning products depending on the surfaces/materials used in your outdoor kitchen.
- Reseal countertops so they maintain their stain resistance and don’t fade: for example, many stones like granite need to be resealed once a year or at least once every three years since they are porous.
- Cover surfaces/furniture in inclement weather.
Whether you prefer a European-style setting, a cozy Southern atmosphere, or a backyard barbecue pit, your savvy outdoor kitchen ideas will inspire you to enjoy open-air cooking throughout the year in your own custom space. When you’re ready to take the leap and build the outdoor kitchen you’ve been dreaming of, contact us! We’d love to see what you’re planning and how we can help the project come to fruition this spring or summer. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need tips on how to maintain your kitchen over the years, too. After all, you’re going to want to enjoy this outdoor oasis for a lifetime!